Photo of Madison Potts, 2018 GOAL Winner

Meet your 2018 GOAL winner, Madison Potts. She is also the President of the Student Government Association, former Vice President of the Black Student Union, and a member of the National Technical Honor Society.

The Georgia Occupational Award of Leadership (GOAL) focuses on excellence in technical education by honoring outstanding students attending Georgia’s technical colleges and divisions.

When asked why she chose Chattahoochee Technical College, Madison says, “As a 15-year-old (high school) graduate, I was interested in finding a school that best fit my needs and not just a traditionally impressive name. After taking some time to research what nearby schools I could attend, I came across CTC and thought it was perfect for me.”

She is studying Business Management, but during her first semester at Chattahoochee Tech, her first government class piqued her interest in the world of Political Science.

“My government class really changed the trajectory of my academic and professional career,” Madison says. “I was always interested in advocacy and social justice, but I never considered political science as a major.”

After graduation, Madison plans to transfer to complete a Bachelor’s degree, as well as a Master’s degree. Her goal after graduating is to effect positive change in the lives of minorities by working for and volunteering with social justice organizations and community leaders. Though she envisions running for local office one day and working for a nonprofit at some point, when asked about her dream job, she says, “Any job that would allow me to help create a positive change in my community is ideal for me.”

Madison’s favorite thing about Chattahoochee Tech is her instructors and advisors.

“There’s nothing like knowing that there is a team of people rooting for you and working to create your best experience,” adds Madison. “The support I’ve had from the first day is unparalleled and I’m so grateful.”

Her favorite courses she has taken so far are Public Speaking, Sociology, Human Communication and Political Science.
When not on campus, Madison enjoys going to concerts, reading biographies and books on personal growth, roller skating, making jewelry and watching documentaries on Netflix.

Her advice for students considering Chattahoochee Technical College is “CTC is a great option for those who are seeking a graduate degree like me and want the best start to their academic career. My advice would be to set an appointment with an academic advisor to talk about your goals and get a plan in place to achieve them. CTC is all about creating the best experience for you, so make sure you utilize all the resources that are available to help you make the most of your time here.”

Madison would also like to thank her instructor, Shari Szalwinksi, for nominating her for GOAL.

“I can’t thank her enough for believing in me,” she says.