As the semester winds down, your college career may be winding down as well. If you are taking the next step and starting the job search, Chattahoochee Tech’s Career Services department is here to help! Career Services has provided ten résumé tips to help you kick off your job search.
- Read the job description and then read it again. Make sure you tailor your résumé to it.
- No more objective statements. Employers want to know what you can offer them. Consider converting your objective to a summary. This is your sales pitch. Invest the time to make it exceptional.
- Make sure your contact information is always current and use a professional email address. Your email address should not be suggestive, flirtatious or silly.
- Only add jobs you have had in the last 10 – 15 years.
- Don’t forget your accomplishments. Employers like to see what you have done; however, they enjoy reading about your accomplishments in your current and/or previous positions.
- Cut the fluff. Is your resume longer than the recommended length (one to two pages) for resumes? An easy way to cut fluff is to start by deleting bullet points in your experience section. Limit yourself to around six bullet points. Make it easy for the employer to understand what you have done.
- Balance your text and white space. Balancing your text and white space is the same thing as adding margins. It makes your resume aesthetically pleasing and easy to read.
- Listing “References Available upon Request” is no longer necessary. Employers know that they can request references at any time.
- Proofread, proofread, and proofread. Spelling and grammar errors can be costly. These are major pet peeves of many employers.
- Remember what you have on your résumé is all that the employer has to determine your fit for the position, so make a great first impression!
Career Services at Chattahoochee Tech is dedicated to education and empowering students and alumni in the career development process.
For more information (including contact information), please visit the Career Services page of the website.